WARNING THIS IS A EXPERIMENTAL object
We have not been able to test, simulate, or build datasets for this object. Use at your own risk. This analytic is NOT supported.
The following analytic identifies the use of a native MacOS utility, PlistBuddy, creating or modifying a properly list (.plist) file. In the instance of Silver Sparrow, the following commands were executed:\
- PlistBuddy -c “Add :Label string init_verx” ~/Library/Launchagents/init_verx.plist \
- PlistBuddy -c “Add :RunAtLoad bool true” ~/Library/Launchagents/init_verx.plist \
- PlistBuddy -c “Add :StartInterval integer 3600” ~/Library/Launchagents/init_verx.plist \
- PlistBuddy -c “Add :ProgramArguments array” ~/Library/Launchagents/init_verx.plist \
- PlistBuddy -c “Add :ProgramArguments:0 string /bin/sh” ~/Library/Launchagents/init_verx.plist \
PlistBuddy -c “Add :ProgramArguments:1 string -c” ~/Library/Launchagents/init_verx.plist
Upon triage, capture the property list file being written to disk and review for further indicators. Contain the endpoint and triage further.
- Type: TTP
- Product: Splunk Enterprise, Splunk Enterprise Security, Splunk Cloud
- Datamodel: Endpoint
- Last Updated: 2021-02-22
- Author: Michael Haag, Splunk
- ID: c3194009-e0eb-4f84-87a9-4070f8688f00
Kill Chain Phase
- Actions on Objectives
1 2 3 4 5 6 | tstats `security_content_summariesonly` count min(_time) as firstTime max(_time) as lastTime from datamodel=Endpoint.Processes where Processes.process_name=PlistBuddy (Processes.process=*LaunchAgents* OR Processes.process=*RunAtLoad* OR Processes.process=*true*) by Processes.dest Processes.user Processes.parent_process Processes.process_name Processes.process Processes.process_id Processes.parent_process_id | `drop_dm_object_name(Processes)` | `security_content_ctime(firstTime)` | `security_content_ctime(lastTime)` | `suspicious_plistbuddy_usage_filter`
The SPL above uses the following Macros:
Note that suspicious_plistbuddy_usage_filter is a empty macro by default. It allows the user to filter out any results (false positives) without editing the SPL.
How To Implement
To successfully implement this search you need to be ingesting information on process that include the name of the process responsible for the changes from your endpoints into the
Endpoint datamodel in the
Known False Positives
Some legitimate applications may use PlistBuddy to create or modify property lists and possibly generate false positives. Review the property list being modified or created to confirm.
Associated Analytic story
source | version: 1